I want to encourage everyone out there to pick up The Humble Indie Bundle V. It’s amazing.
The way it works is you pay what you want for a bundle of superb indie games, with the proceeds being split among going to the developers, going to Child’s Play charity and the EFF, and a small amount going to the Humble team in the form of a “humble tip”. The games are all DRM free and available on Linux, Mac, & PC.
Just a couple of days ago I was washing dishes (and thinking about games, of course!) and I thought to myself, “The only way this bundle would get better is if they included Braid with it.” The next day, the Humble team decided to add Braid, Lone Survivor, and Super Meat Boy. Wow wow!
So, let me break this down for you. You can pay whatever you want to get the following:
- Amnesia: the Dark Descent – Super scary and cerebral game. You explore an old castle and slowly go insane. You have to stand in the light to preserve your sanity.
- Limbo – A short puzzle game that oozes tone. You play an unnamed boy who is trying to find his sister, lost in Limbo. You’ll die gruesome deaths (and love it).
- Psychonauts – A game about psychic summer camp. You infiltrate people’s minds. One of the most imaginative games I’ve played.
- Superbrothers: Swords & Sworcery EP. An experimental point-and-click adventure game that relies heavily on its excellent audio design. It’s part music album, part game.
Plus, if you beat the average, you’ll be graced with the presence even more great games!
- Bastion – A wonderful hack & slash hgame. You play the Kid and must try to restore the world after the Calamity by hacking and shooting enemies. Great music (reminds me of Firefly’s style of mixing instruments). Also, the best narrator voice ever.
- Lone Survivor – A horror adventure game. You are the last person alive and are going insane. I’ve only played for about an hour, but I’m liking it so far!
- Super Meat Boy – An action platformer where the player plays a blob of meat and uses his crazy agility to avoid getting cut by band saws.
- Braid – A platform puzzle game focusing heavily on time manipulation and accompanied by a wonderful story. A classic indie game.
The average at the time of writing is pitifully low ($8.24), so there’s no reason not to pay more than that to pick all of these titles up.
Not only do you get 8 great games, but you’ll also gain access to high-quality soundtracks for Swords & Sworcery, Bastion, Amnesia, Limbo, and Psychonauts!
Honestly, I already owned most of these games, but I threw down some cash both in support of the Humble team and also to pick up the soundtracks. It’s money very well spent. The only sad thing is that the soundtracks for Lone Survivor, Braid, and Super Meat Boy aren’t included.
Still, go get this bundle guys! The bundle will end in a few days, so go out there and get it now!
These are the veritable all-stars of the indie community and must-owns for anyone with any passing interest in games.
So why are you still reading this?! 🙂