They said that it couldn’t be done. That it shouldn’t be done.
Brace Yourself Games didn’t care. They worked tirelessly, with sweat dripping from their collective brow, and forged into new territory, creating Crypt of the NecroDancer, a roguelike dungeon-crawling role-playing rhythm game.
Well, it’s not quite finished yet. They’re working on it. The game is currently available in Steam’s Early Access program for about $15, or you can pick up the soundtrack edition (which I recommend) for $25.
Check out my first impressions video to see what I think:
Spoiler alert: it’s pretty fun.
- Gameplay mechanics make the game feel very fresh
- Great twist of rhythm and dungeon-crawling genres
- Music to groove to
- Retro graphics style fits perfectly
- Somewhat steep learning curve
- Not yet released
- May get repetitive
- I’m quite terrible at this game